Friday, April 15, 2016

Lemon Poppyseed Scones


Let me just start off by saying that these were some of the best scones I have ever made. I mean don't they just look mouth watering? If you're a fan of lemon, these will knock your socks off. I stole the base of this recipe from Pinterest, and modified it to my liking. 


First you want to start off by adding your sugar and lemon zest together in a large bowl. {Heres a tip; since you want the butter you'll add later to stay as cold as possible before putting the scones into the oven, I always like to put my mixing bowl into the freezer for about 20 minutes prior to mixing everything up}. Mix the sugar and lemon zest together a bit to get the oils from the zest incorporated into the sugar. 


Next you'll want to add your remaining dry ingredients, including the poppy seeds. {Please excuse the blurry hand, I had a little helper in my kitchen that day!} 



After your dry ingredients are well incorporated, you'll want to add your butter. The key to a really great scone is all in the butter! I freeze mine for about two hours prior to baking, and don't get it out of the freezer until I'm ready to use it. Immediately grate the frozen butter directly into your mixing bowl and begin combining it with your dry ingredients. Be careful not to over work it, because you don't want your butter to begin to melt. The texture should vaguely resemble sand, and the butter pieces should be about the size of peas or smaller throughout the dry ingredients. Thats when you know you're done! {There are SO many methods to making scones, this is just what I've always done, and what works best for me!}


In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla, egg, milk, and sour cream. I added a few drops of lemon essential oil at this time as well, however, if you don't have any don't worry! Your scones will still be super amazing. After you've whisked the wet ingredients together, immediately combine them with the dry ingredients. Work everything together gently with your hands until the dough just starts to pull away from the bowl. {This is where it gets messy, so I am lacking photos of this process.} Once your dough is ready, transfer it onto a floured surface {I use parchment paper on my counter top, easier clean up!}. Pat the dough into a circle about 8 inches in diameter, and cut it into 8 triangles.


Immediately transfer the triangle pieces onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake for about 15-18 minutes. You'll want the edges to just be golden brown. Transfer to a wire baking rack to cool. While they are cooling, you can work on the glaze! Its incredibly simple, and so delicious. 


Combine the juice of the lemon with the confectioners sugar until smooth. Again, I did add a drop of lemon essential oil, but you don't have to! I added the glaze to a piping bag and drizzled it it onto the scones once they were completely cool.


I mean seriously? They were SO yummy. You have to try this recipe! If you have any questions, please comment them below!

1/3 cup sugar
zest of one lemon
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup {1 stick} frozen butter, grated
1/2 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons of milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

for the glaze:
1/4 cup lemon juice {about one large lemon}
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar 

No comments:

Post a Comment